Most lenders will require a copy of your notice of assessment to ensure your income is accurate and to confirm that you don’t have any outstanding income taxes owing to Revenue Canada. If you don’t have a copy of your notice of assessment, you can:

  • call Revenue Canada at 1.800.959.8281 and request a copy by mail
  • log in to your “My Account” with CRA online. If you don’t have an account set up, you can do so by clicking here and following the instructions. You will be able to set up your account right away, but CRA will send your password in the mail for you to have full access to your documents. You won’t be able to print out your full notice of assessment until you have the password that comes in the mail
  • download the “my CRA” app to access information on your mobile device if you have an account with CRA
  • authorize a representative to act on your behalf by signing a T1013 form. More on that here. There are services available that will access your notices of assessment for you in a matter of hours if you need them quickly. There would typically be a fee for this type of service. Your mortgage broker may already have an account set up with a firm that can provide this service for you.

About The Author

sarah schiess